Search This Blog

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Game of Thrones season 7 episode 6 Beyond the Wall

Ironic that I'm late writing this when this is the episode that I was spoiled for, having seen some leaked clips from YouTube before the official release date.  Also, I got distracted along the way and spent the last 3 days or so binge-watching 2 seasons of some other show I don't follow.  Anyway, I better finish doing this before the finale comes out, or before I get spoiled again.  =P

So, without further ado, ***SPOILER WARNING: This is all about the TV show Game of Thrones season 7 episode 6.  Also, disclaimer.

Note: These are notes I wrote on second watch of the episode.  Normally, I would rearrange them again for a better flow, but since this is super late anyway, I will just leave it as is.  =)  For a TL;DR version/overall review, see the bold type.  But it would be much, much better if you don't "DR".  You'll find that that 'summary' isn't really an accurate summary.  ;)





Aww, Tormund agreed with those who think Mance didn't bend the knee just because of pride.  I disagree.  I did not expect this from Tormund because he never bent the knee to Jon.

Ohohoho.  Jorah refused Jon's offer to get Longclaw back.  Said it will serve Jon well, and his children after him.  Ohohohohmy.  That just means he's giving Dany to Jon as well.  =P

Arya confronts Sansa.

Death is the enemy.  --Beric Dondarrion

Watching Dany and Tyrion's scene reminded me that this episode had a lot of awkward moments.
a. I don't agree that the burning of the Tarlys was impulsive.  I don't think it was necessary either, but it was not impulsive.
b. Having said that, I agree with Tyrion that they should have been given some time in a cell perhaps.
c. I didn't think there was such a thing as too much of a long-term plan, but thinking of succession before getting the crown seems to be an example.  But I guess Tyrion was just also afraid for the fate of those who now serve Dany, after she is gone.

Thoros got bit.  =(

The conversation between Sansa and Littlefinger shows me, more than anything else, that she's loyal to Jon.

It was a good plan.  And Jon taking out that white walker turned out well enough because one wight was left, at least.  But who would have thought it could scream like that.

I guess they weren't that far beyond the wall.  Gendry was able to run back to the Wall before it was dark.  Come to think of it, the group didn't seem to have brought much provisions.
Thoros died.  =(

Ok.  Sansa sends Brienne off to King's Landing.  What's this about?  Are we supposed to think that she did this to keep Brienne away so she can't protect Arya so Sansa can attack her?  But Sansa knows that Arya can protect herself.  She saw her training with Brienne.  And when Littlefinger mentioned earlier that Brienne could help, I expect he meant that if Arya tried to attack Sansa, Brienne would protect her.  So Sansa is actually doing the opposite of what Littlefinger suggests, isn't she?

Tyrion, why again?  Why try to stop Dany from going north to aid Jon Snow's party?  I understand that he might be afraid for himself and everyone who'll be left behind (Dothraki, Unsullied) if something happens to Dany, but doesn't he think it important to try to make sure the possible ally to the North remains?

I generally don't like saying that something is a result of 'bad writing'.  Sometimes, it's just more of characters doing stupid things.  But this episode might indeed be an example of bad writing.  There are weird little things that I can't quite explain satisfactorily or are just plain wrong.  Its saving grace is that the characters stop short of actually doing stupid things.  Most things turn out well enough.  Except for the Hound throwing stones at the wights.  That was the one actual stupid thing in this episode.  (Ok.  There's more than one stupid thing in this episode, but this is the one I can't find an excuse for.)

Viserion!!!  D=  (That was Viserion, right?  He didn't look green.)  *sobs*
However, the Night King deserves a gold medal for that javelin throw...  <.<

How exactly did Jon survive and get out of the water?  Plot armor?  >.>

Thank you, Uncle Benjen.  But why couldn't you have gone with Jon?  =(

Arya gave Sansa the dagger.  This is good.  I think it will turn out well.

Jon 'bent' the knee.  Well, that's not bad.  I've been saying (not sure if in previous posts in this blog or just in YouTube comments) that I think it is right that Jon refuses to bend the knee.  Dany has it backwards, I said.  She should help the North first instead of just demanding for their service.  (Think: "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." --Stannis Baratheon)  In this instance, Dany hasn't saved the kingdom yet.  But at least she has actually done something for the North/Jon.  So that is acceptable to me.

Now where on Westeros did the wights get those huge chains?  And how the f did they get it under the dragon under the ice???
In any case, Viserion!!!!!!!!!!!!!  D=  *bawls*


Ok.  Before I end this, more on the Arya/Sansa thing.

Some people believe that Sansa is 'bad'.  By this, I mean that they think she is power-hungry and wants to take the North from Jon.  I just don't see it.  I don't think she's power-hungry at all.  I don't think she wants to rule at all.  Maybe she wanted to be queen before, but not anymore.  I think she's afraid of power.  I think she'd rather someone else rule, and she helps from behind the scenes.  She said Jon was good at ruling.  She wanted to give the reins to Bran when he returned, but he said he couldn't be lord.  She doesn't want to rule.  She's doing her best to keep everyone where they are because she doesn't want Jon to lose all his army.  She's doing this for Jon, not herself.

Last episode, we saw Arya being played by Littlefinger.  Some said, nah she can't be played by Littlefinger, she's smarter than that.  She knows exactly what Littlefinger is doing and she's the one who's actually playing him.  I disagree with them.  I do think Arya was being played by Littlefinger last episode.  To me, that was clear.
However, I said that Arya was going to confront Sansa about that scroll, and her being confrontational would actually turn to their advantage.  Because Sansa will be able to tell Arya that she didn't ask Littlefinger to destroy any old scroll for her, and the sisters will them be able to work together against him.  I also said that I'm hoping Sansa will be the one to kill Littlefinger.  That's not exactly how it turned out, but what happened instead is still good.

Arya gave Sansa the dagger.  That's good.  I don't know yet why Arya gave Sansa the dagger, but this could turn out really good.  Perhaps Arya has secretly been talking with Bran and knows Sansa will do the right thing in the end.  Maybe that's why she gave her the dagger.
I think it more likely that this is just Arya taunting Sansa into attacking her.  She can defend herself against Sansa, no problem.  But I don't think she knows that Sansa knows that.  When Arya looked up from her training with Brienne, she only saw Littlefinger.  Sansa had already walked away.
In any case, giving Sansa the dagger is a good thing, I think.  Because now, Sansa will be able to kill Littlefinger.  =P

I'm hoping for something like this...

Sansa sent Brienne away.  This will give Littlefinger the opportunity to attack Arya, maybe not by himself, but order someone to do it for him.  But Arya will, of course, be able to defend herself.  Sansa will then either kill Littlefinger, and/or show the Lords of the Vale that Littlefinger is a traitor, so that they will swear to her (that is, to the Starks/to Jon) directly, instead of to Littlefinger.  And Sansa will say her line from the trailer: a lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.  =)  Bye bye, Littlefinger.  =P




No comments:

Post a Comment