Search This Blog

Monday, August 14, 2017

Game of Thrones season 7 episode 5 Eastwatch

First, the obligatory ***SPOILER WARNING: This is all about the TV show Game of Thrones, season 7 episode 5; and disclaimer.


After first watch, the overall effect of this episode on me is... it made me sad.  =(

The only thing that made me a bit happy is Gilly asking Sam about the word 'annulment', but Sam didn't even listen to what Gilly was reading!  =(

Anyway, let's see if I change my mind after this 2nd watch while writing this post...

(Eastwatch in the opening credits!!!)

First, Daenerys.

I am not very happy with Dany burning the Tarlys, though I cannot blame her completely either.  True, she did give them the choice.  But in the end, she is the one on top, the one who has the most leverage.

Is it surprising that Dickon was the one who turned out most honorable in the scene?  Probably not that surprising.  Since last episode, he's been shown to be not as bad as we'd think he is.  Though it is unfortunate that he had to die as well, he did show great loyalty to his father.  And Randyll did appreciate that, even though he didn't want his son to die as well at first.

Randyll, on the other hand, was being true to his racist self.  His primary reason for choosing Cersei was because she is from Westeros, while the enemy are 'foreign invaders'.  Though if you think about it, the Tarly's liege lords are the Tyrells, and Olenna Tyrell supported Daenerys.  And going further back, the Tyrells (and the Tarlys) supported the Targaryens during Robert's Rebellion.

Another thing I can take against Randyll Tarly, and a reason I cannot fully blame Dany for the outcome of this scene, is that he seemed to have no respect for the Night's Watch.  The only reason why he sent Sam to the Night's Watch was to disinherit him, and he thought the Night's Watch would 'make a man' out of him.  But apparently, he cared little for what the Night's Watch stood for.  If he did, he would have accepted the proposal to take the black.  Whether Dany was his queen or not, he would have served well for the realm on the Wall.

So I can't blame Dany completely, because Randyll would not accept the alternative Tyrion proposed.  However, couldn't Dany have waited?  "I'm not here to put men in chains."  I don't understand that.  'Men in chains' could mean slaves, and Dany doesn't like slaves.  I understand that.  But in this case, 'men in chains' mean prisoners, and Dany doesn't want to take prisoners?  Why not?  If Randyll Tarly argues that Dany cannot send him to the wall because she is not his queen, then take him prisoner until she takes the throne, then when she is (undoubtedly) queen, order him to the Wall.  Hahaha.  Won't that work?  =P  At the very least, keep the Tarlys long enough to throw in Jon's direction.  He'd have great use for anyone alive...

In any case, there is one redeeming thing for Dany in this scene, and that is the way she said Dracarys.  To me, the relatively soft way she said the word this time (compared to previous times) shows that there is some regret (maybe) in giving the order now.  Still, the sad thing is... all the Lannister soldiers who finally bent the knee to her did so out of fear.  A stark contrast to the Unsullied who follow her because she freed them, and the Dothraki who fight for her because they recognize her strength.

Having said that, ...

Dany's 'small council' (not really).

So... the plan is to... what?  I don't really understand what the plan is.  They want to convince Cersei that an Army of the Dead is marching South from beyond the Wall, so that she will halt hostilities with Dany?  And to do this, Jon and co. will go North to get a wight to show Cersei as evidence?

What I was hoping for was that Dany will bring her armies North to help Jon.  Jon may not have enough men but I thought he'd have enough if Dany joins him.  (I mean, three dragons?)  I didn't think he'd also need Cersei?  (I don't trust Cersei, in any case.)

I'm afraid this will end up as another of Tyrion's (not so) clever plans.  Because what in the world makes them think that Cersei will give a damn about the Army of the Dead?  Why would she halt hostilities with Dany because of them?  If the Army of the Dead will wipe out Cersei's enemies for her, she might even welcome them!  Dany might not want to be queen of the ashes.  But I doubt Cersei will care if she rules over a graveyard.

But maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe Cersei won't want to rule over a graveyard.  But then again, Cersei has done unimaginable things...

Cersei and Jaime.

Again, Cersei insists on blaming everyone else and never herself.  She especially insists on blaming Jaime, but he keeps on letting it slide.  And now, Cersei has her hooks buried even deeper into Jaime because she is pregnant...

Anyway, isn't it likely that Bran (Maester Wolkan) also sent a raven to King's Landing?  The Citadel received a raven.  Dragonstone received a raven.  Maybe King's Landing received a raven as well?  And if so, then Cersei probably knew about this 'Army of the Dead' before Jaime told her that he met with Tyrion.  Maybe she didn't think much of it when she received the message.  But now that she knows Tyrion (and Dany) has received a similar message, and they seem to believe it, I'm sure she'll think of a way to use that information to her advantage.

Whatever plan she comes up with, she'll "fight like father would have".  Could those who suggest she'll do a Red Wedding type of betrayal be correct?

Speaking of betrayal...

Arya, Sansa, and Littlefinger.

I feel bad for Sansa.  She is doing a good job managing Winterfell and the Northern Lords, just as Jon entrusted her to do.  And Arya wants to chop off the heads of the lords who 'insulted' Jon.  (Ah, the Starks.  Quick tempers, slow minds?)

Littlefinger, despite his declarations of love for Sansa, is destroying her in the eyes of her sister.

Arya thinks she's doing well following Littlefinger around.  But he's leading her right where he wants to.

Arya takes against Sansa the fact that she is now using their mother and father's chambers.  But Jon gave those chambers to Sansa.  Sansa even said Jon should take it.

And so what if Sansa is thinking what Arya says she is thinking?  The important thing is that Sansa still has enough sense to know her place and not act against Jon.  If Sansa actually does something against Jon, then by all means, stop her, Arya!  But making Sansa feel more alone by confronting her and basically threatening her is not the way to go.  The only thing Arya will accomplish is help Littlefinger in his bid to put a wedge between them.

He's already making Arya think that he had Maester Wolkan pull out that copy of Sansa's message back in season 1 under Sansa's orders.  But that's just his doing.  I'm sure Sansa has nothing to do with it.  And I'm sure that whatever he's whispering to Lord Glover and Lord Royce is also not under Sansa's orders.

My only hope is that Sansa will remain strong.

And finally, Eastwatch.

Ok.  I change my mind.  I love the ending.  I love the interaction between every one of those going North (Jon, Beric, Gendry, Thoros, Jorah, Tormund, The Hound), and Davos (though he's not going with them).

But then... it still makes me sad.  =(
Because I am most likely deluding myself if I think they will all come back alive.  =(

Etc.

Jon's bonding moment with Drogon seemed out of place for me.  I would have preferred if he had that moment with Rhaegal, for instance, just as Dany arrived back on Drogon, and she saw.

I don't want a love triangle between Dany, Jon, and Jorah, please.

Archmaester Ebrose needs to get off the fence.

Ghost is being a good boy, sitting and waiting for Jon!  xD

"I thought you might still be rowing."  Hahahahahaha.  xD

Bronn should go with Tyrion... or wherever is far away from Cersei.

Sam leaves the Citadel.  But where are they going?  He didn't hear of his father and brother's death before he left.  Would he hear of it on the road?  Would they pass by Horn Hill from the Citadel?
Also, I don't even think they brought High Septon Maynard's book with them.  =(

Tormund misses Brienne.  xD

Oh, and one last thing.

I just hope Gilly has a really good memory, and will remember that the Citadel has 15,782 steps.  That's extremely important information.



No comments:

Post a Comment