Search This Blog

Friday, October 12, 2018

Supernatural season 14 episode 1 Stranger in a Strange Land

SPOILER WARNING!!! for Supernatural season 14 premiere.

Ok.  On the heels of a great season 13 (though I had some issues with the last 3 episodes...), the start of season 14 left me with more questions than answers.

One of the biggest is probably:



How on Earth is Nick alive?
Sam says that the archangel blade is meant to kill the angel, not the human.  Are they sure of this?  Or are they just guessing?  Because I certainly hope he's just grasping and this is not actually the case.
What I'm hoping instead is that Nick's alive because of something to do with what Crowley did to recreate that body.  That is just a recreated body, right?  I should go read up on that again (or rewatch a few episodes), but at the moment, I have a vague memory of Crowley saying something about it.  Every cell or whatever of that body is connected somehow to Crowley.  Isn't that part of the reason why Crowley killed himself in s12 finale?  Aside from a life being needed for the spell to close the rift, he was hoping to weaken Lucifer somehow?  But I expect the weakening didn't work as another consequence of that demon henchman's tampering with Crowley's coding for the body or whatever.
Also, that being just a recreated body, that was never Nick.  Right?  So... how can Nick be alive?  It's like killing Cas now, and being left with Jimmy.  It's impossible.  Because Jimmy is long dead and in heaven (hopefully).
So my theory is - that's Lucifer with all his grace burned away, and pretending to be a human.  If he is Lucifer, I hope his grace does not replenish anymore.

By the way, this has nothing to do with Nick being alive, but I like that they showed Gabriel in the road so far, and that his name was mentioned in the episode.  I still think he's alive.  Just saying.  :P

Back to the things that left me confused...

Sam asked Maggie if she can hack the traffic cams, and I think: Jack can do that!  :P  Poor guy.  Give him something to do that he can potentially do well to give him a morale boost, instead of things that he can fail at.  I hope his grace replenishes sooner than later.
But I get it, I get it.  They had to make Jack weak because Jack with powers will just make things too easy.  At least, I can more easily wrap my head around Jack being weak without his powers.  He is just half human, after all.  A child, really.  With no fight training prior to this.

Cas, on the other hand... *deep breath*.
Let me just say this: I've enjoyed all seasons of Supernatural in general so far (yes, even the one with leviathans), but the one thing that usually frustrates me and makes me temporarily stop watching it (by this, I mean I don't watch it weekly, and only binge watch when the mid-season or finale nears) is when they make Cas super weak without a satisfactory explanation as to why.  He's still an angel.  He's not half human like Jack.  Why is he weak?
Ok.  I get it.  He was overpowered by the demons because of sheer number.  Too many of them, only one of him.  Got it.  Ok.  Acceptable.
But why on Earth was he not able to get out of that chair, those cuffs?  Maybe I should look at those cuffs more closely.  What is it?  Special cuffs?  Maybe.  They don't look like normal cuffs.  But... I didn't hear anyone explain it?  Where did the demons get such special cuffs, if they are special cuffs?  I would have understood better if they trapped him in a ring of holy fire.  That, I know, works against angels.  *sigh*

Anyway, back to Maggie.  Why did they bring along Maggie?  I mean... I guess she'll be a recurring character, an important part of the team...  That's fine.  It's nice for Jack to have a young friend.  But... why did they bring her along, particularly?  I suppose she's a hunter?  Not even sure anymore because... Mary had to ask her if she knew how to use an angel blade?  Uhm...?  Did she have a particular skill they needed for that mission?  Or was she just there for bait?
In any case, I love that the Bunker has been turned into something of a headquarters, and I love that everybody's looking to Sam as the boss...  But I would have picked someone else to come along?  Ok, ok.  So maybe everyone else is busy.  They were just talking about vampires and all that.  Fine.  Ok.  Maybe there was no one else left.
Anyway, I'm glad they mentioned where Ketch was so we know why he's not around.  But where is Charlie?  Where is Rowena?  Did I just miss them getting mentioned?

Kip.  Poor Kip.  I would have wanted for him to survive a little longer.  He was saying that in life he rode with Genghis Khan or something.  Wow?  Said something about eating Sam's heart, too.  But he died.  Oh, well.  He is no Crowley.
And why are the demons afraid of Sam again?

As for Michael... what does he want?  I'm still unclear on that.  He wants to do things right this time?  Why?  Did he do it wrong in the other world?  And in the end, it looks like he's choosing monsters to be the ones worth 'saving'.  Is that his idea of doing things right?  Oh my Chuck, he's off his rocker!

And did I miss the part where Sister Jo gets Sam's phone number?  For a while, I thought maybe Michael gave it to her, and she still can't be trusted because she's calling Sam at Michael's urging but... no.  She's not worth saving in Michael's eyes, why would they be working together?

*Sigh*  Maybe this episode needs a third viewing...  Wasn't a great start, especially compared to last season's.  Hopefully, things get clearer and better soon.

Add:
While rereading this post to check for errors, a thought occurred to me...
It just can't be right.  If the archangel blades can kill the angel but spare the human... oh my.  Please don't let this be the way they dispose of Michael.  That would be too easy!  Well, not 'easy' but still... the ability to dispose of Michael with no threat to Dean?  No no no no please.  Too convenient.  :/


No comments:

Post a Comment