Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Supernatural season 14 episode 2 Gods and Monsters

First, the obligatory SPOILER WARNING!!!  You have been warned.  ;)
Also, I'm going to ramble about things beyond the episode here.  So please bear with me.

I liked this better than the premiere.  :)  Mostly because there was a lot of development in different aspects of the story.

There are still unanswered questions, my theory about Nick/Lucifer seem less likely... but still, there's progress.  And that's good.  :)

As I said in some YouTube comment, what normally happens with me and this show when there's something I'm not happy about is: as time goes by, as the story progresses, I either forget about the plotholes, or they come up with explanations that are acceptable, or I think up something that explains it that makes sense.  Looks like one of those things is going to happen here - I might forget things that make little sense because they are successfully distracting me from it.  :P
(Oh, brother.  I'm a bit ashamed that I'm so easily distracted!  But oh well.  *shrugs*)

Throughout the seasons, the one thing that can annoy me to the point that I temporarily stop watching (by this, I mean, I don't watch weekly, but binge-watch several episodes at once when mid-season or finale approaches) is when they make my favorite Castiel super weak.  And to me, they did that in the premiere.  It's one of the reasons I didn't like it so much.
Maybe I'm just confused.  His return from the Empty and the new trench coat (a combination of the first two), somehow gave me the impression that he'll get some of his powers back.  This is a reason why I don't understand how he can be so weak...  I get that his grace could have been permanently damaged from being used for Metatron's spell, but the new trench felt like a reset for me.  Guess it wasn't.  :/

In this episode, in answer to the question of when Jack's grace will regenerate, they mentioned something about anywhere from one month to a century with regards to archangel grace.  I suppose something similar could apply to a seraph's grace, and Castiel's might be taking the scenic route...  Fine.  :/
(Or maybe the Cosmic Entity actually lessened his powers even more before returning him to earth, to get back at him for being too annoying.  <.<  Oops.)
In any case, his attitude about focusing on what you have left, rather than on what you lost, is pretty good advice for Jack (and us viewers, I suppose).

Still, a part of me feels somewhat triggered that Cas fails even at babysitting two headstrong wards...

Jack was apparently able to sneak out to visit his grandparents.
I'm glad he was able to meet them.  They seem like nice people.  :)  But now I'm afraid for them.  Why did we meet them?  Are they going to die sometime soon?  Oh please no...  :S

Nick, on the other hand, was able to go see his neighbor...

I know they're not prisoners at the Bunker or anything but... Cas, you had one job.  :/


So, let's talk about Nick.
At the moment, I'm still holding on to the theory that that's actually Lucifer just pretending.  At the very least, maybe Lucifer is in there somewhere, just also too weak and confused to really know what's going on.  Idk.  Maybe Lucifer is still just slowly regaining his memory...  Maybe he just thinks he's Nick, but he's actually Lucifer...

In any case, having Nick alive still makes very, very little sense.  But I'll let that pass for now.
As I said, the show is successfully distracting me from the impossibility of Nick by giving us this mystery.  :P

(Also, I know that Cas sort of tested him, and he should have been able to tell if that wasn't really Nick but... right now, I don't really know if Cas's detecting abilities is reliable.  :/  Sorry, Cas.)

We didn't really know much about Nick, did we?  My impression back in season 5 was that his family was the victim of some tragedy - someone killed his wife and kid.  So far, that seems right.  But... what we saw in this episode makes me think that it wasn't just some random person who came into their house and killed his family.  The impression I got was that Nick himself killed his own family.
I don't understand why yet.  And I also don't understand why he didn't remember what happened to his family at first.  Did Nick have some psychiatric problem to begin with?  Did a demon possess him?


And finally, there's Dean.  I mean, Michael.  What is he up to?
It seems to me like he's trying to create another vessel for himself.  And this time, he wants a monster to be his vessel.
I guess that makes sense.  He has to know that, while Dean is not strong enough to expel him now, there is always that danger that he'll be able to.  Dean is an unwilling vessel, fully aware he is being possessed, and who knows that it is possible to expel angels.  It would be so much better to have a vessel that's willing to be possessed (a monster?) because of some benefit Michael can give him.  And if we're to believe what Michael told that werewolf pack leader, it seems he was able to find a way to make a monster's body strong enough to contain him.
So... did Michael really leave Dean's body?  Is Michael now in that werewolf pack leader's body, for instance?  Somehow, I don't think so.
I think 'Dean' is still Michael just pretending.  :P  (Why am I so obsessed with pretenders?  xD )  After all, he was setting up a trap.  Could his trap have been so weak that Sam, Mary, and Bobby survived without being bitten at all?  Or is the trap luring them into thinking they have Dean back?


Hmm... when is next week coming?  :P


Oh!  I almost forgot.  Two more things I'd like to comment about:
1. What Jack said about destroying Michael even at the expense of Dean.  Yeah, he does have a point.  I'm pretty sure that's how Dean would want it.  If in order to kill Michael, he has to die, he'd do it.  It would be a different story, though, if it's Sam's life that's on the line.  Dean would do anything, find some other way, just to keep Sam safe. 
2. I always say Dean is usually the one that makes me cry.  But in this episode, the most emotional scene for me was when Cas said what happened to Jimmy Novak and his family is his biggest regret in his thousands of years.  :'(



No comments:

Post a Comment